Our client (Public Pharmaceutical Company) in the East Bay (Newark) has a temporary need for a Senior Manager of SOX Compliance. This is a temporary assignment with the possibility of converting to temp-to-perm. The candidate ideally would have industry experience from Biotech (Biotechnology, Pharma, Medical Device, Live Science, etc.). The Senior Manager of SOX Compliance is responsible for understanding the Company’s internal control environment, identifying opportunities to optimize the efficiency of the Company’s processes, planning for compliance with 404(b), executing against that plan, and evaluating the outcomes of the compliance program. This individual will frequently interact with accounting staff, IT, legal, and other stakeholders across the organization as well as external SOX consultants and external auditors. This role requires critical thinking skills, effective organizational skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a strong ability to build effective relationships across the Company. This position offers the successful applicant the opportunity to leverage a strong background in internal audit and SOX compliance with the intensity and dynamics of a rapidly growing biotechnology company.
- Manage the Company’s SOX compliance program and act as a central point of contact and subject matter expert.
- Assess the Company’s business, financial, and IT risks and recommend innovative solutions to manage risk while maintaining operational efficiency.
- Educate Business Process Owner’s (BPO’s) by leading training sessions to demonstrate compliance requirements and share hot topics in SOX compliance.
- Monitor compliance with SOX 404(b) standards to ensure transactions are recorded, documented, reviewed, and supported in accordance with company policies, generally accepted accounting principles, and SOX controls.
- Lead special projects to test key reports, evaluate segregation of duties, create flowcharts for key processes, and review policies annually.
- Responsible for on-going project management, including overseeing the SOX and audit coordination efforts between external SOX consultants, external auditors, and internal business process owners.
- Coordinate, review, and analyze the adequacy of the SOX process documentation, testing, & compliance program.
- Collaborate with external SOX consultants to ensure that the design and operating effectiveness of internal controls over financial reporting are maintained.
- Partner with BPO’s to enhance controls and remediate identified deficiencies.
- Lead the evaluation process of identified deficiencies and prepare memos supporting all internal control positions.
- Manage the development, documentation, and implementation of new controls or processes and monitor timely performance of those controls.
- Provide expertise on the Company’s COSO evaluation to prepare the Company for transitioning to a commercial organization.
- Prepare data and other support information requests as needed for audits and reviews conducted by external auditors.
- Prepare internal management reports and contribute to presentations for executive management and the Audit Committee.
- Take an active role within the Accounting and IT organizations to drive goal achievement, while evaluating and recommending process improvements that support an effective internal control environment while maintaining operational efficiencies.
- Assist with other special projects or activities as directed by the Associate Director of Technical Accounting.
- 6+ years of relevant experience, including at least 4 years as an internal auditor.
- Advanced knowledge of 2013 COSO framework and ability to apply the framework in a manner that supports SOX compliance and operational efficiencies.
- Advanced understanding of generally accepted accounting principles, including clinical accruals.
- Experience with ITGC audits, key reports testing, and flowcharts preferred.
- Experience designing, monitoring, and evaluating internal controls and SOX compliance in a pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or manufacturing organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance (or equivalent) required.
- Active CPA or CIA required.
- Active CISA preferred.
- Preferred Additional Skills (i.e., Computer):
- Ability to prioritize assignments, deal with interruptions, and meet deadlines in a fast paced and growth oriented environment.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains and WDesk Internal Controls platform preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office advanced Excel experience required.