Our client (Public Pharmaceutical Company) in the East Bay (Newark) has a temporary need for a Director or Senior Director of Finance person. This is a temporary assignment with the possibility of converting to temp-to-perm. The candidate MUST have industry experience from Biotech (Biotechnology, Pharma, Medical Device, Live Science, etc.). The Director/Senior Director of Finance is a key leader in the Finance organization who manages, prepares, and administers the annual budget, periodic forecasts, long-range plan and other business decision analyses. He/she is a seasoned accounting and financial planning professional with experience in a fast-paced public company environment and who is a proven leader in a changing and growing business. This role will report to the Head of Finance and manage two senior level staff (Clinical Trial Manager and an Associate Director of FP&A).
- Lead the annual budgeting and periodic forecasting processes
- Oversee monthly budget vs. actual variance analysis and related reporting to department heads
- Partner with Accounting to ensure accuracy of accruals and provide monthly close support
- Develop and maintain long range strategic plan (LRP) and ad-hoc scenario analyses
- Collaborate with business partners and provide financial decision support on strategic planning initiatives
- Assist in development of detailed financial analysis for new clinical trials and manufacturing initiatives
- Develop and implement treasury and cash management strategy, including policies, procedures and reporting
- Provide strategic support for equity and debt financing activities and assist with tax planning initiatives
- Execute internal financial controls to ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley 404 requirements
- Support Commercial in development of product and indication revenue models and related analyses
- Partner with Business Development to provide analytical and valuation support for transactions
- Provide annual compensation modeling and other support to Human Resources
- Develop financial guidance for public reporting purposes and review external analyst models, providing recommendations to Investor Relations
- Ensure accurate and timely preparation of all regular management reports; seek to enhance reporting frameworks and tools to drive greater financial accountability and acumen across Company
- Prepare presentation of Board materials in relation to any or all the above items
- Recruit, manage and mentor staff for optimal performance
- Other projects, as directed by the Corporate Controller, Finance and Administration
- 8+ year’s business/finance experience in a public company to include budgeting, forecasting, accounting and financial planning.
- Experience in biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries strongly preferred.
- Proven analytical and project management skills.
- Logical and critical thinking skills.
- Experience in treasury management and/or risk management desirable.
- Experience as team expert on an ERP system highly desirable.
- Experience in a Sarbanes Oxley compliant environment required.
- Working knowledge of US GAAP accounting.
- Bachelor’s degree with heavy accounting/finance coursework or equivalent
- CPA and/or MBA degree strongly desired
- Excellent professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills required. Experience working with Executive Teams in a senior financial role required
- Highest level of professional and ethical performance standards
- Collaborative team player who works and partners effectively with senior and junior colleagues
- Ability to motivate team to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Ability to prioritize assignments, deal with interruptions, and meet deadlines in a fast paced and growth oriented environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Dynamics, Microsoft Office and advanced Excel experience required.